Costilla County, Colorado
Ben Doon, Costilla County Administrator
Tommy Rodriguez, ORC
- Project Needs Assessment: A comprehensive Project Needs Assessment (PNA) was developed to assess proactive measures such as, replacement of old distribution lines and the addition of fire hydrants & various fittings. The project was recommended to be divided into 3 phases, due to the long distances and assessing the associated costs with each phase. As with most rural communities, the cost impacts for significant improvements are very difficult to pass directly on to the users. Consequently, the need for funding assistance is imperative for success of the project. Only Phase 1 was considered for the selected alternative for this PNA. Following is a summary of activities evaluated for each potential phase.
- Phase I: Includes the replacement of water main lines, installation of isolation valves & hydrants, and the installation of a storage tank (±140,000 gal) all within the Chama community. Approximately half the water users of the system live in that location.
- Phase II: Incorporates infrastructure improvements within the Los Fuertes, San Pedro, and San Pablo communities.
- Phase III: Incorporates infrastructure improvements for the La Valley area.
- Infrastructure improvements include the replacement of main lines, installation of isolation valves & fire hydrants, as well as the replacement of pressure reducing assemblies.
View Full Portfolio